Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Tips for an Acne-less Face

Hello, hello. I hope you are all having a wonderful day. I am SO glad that voting day has come and gone. I was getting so sick of all those commercials and ads. I can't even imagine all of the good things we could do with the money spent on elections #worldhungersolved

Anyway... Life in Wilmington is still an adventure. Even after three months of living here, we’re discovering more and more about our new city and it’s been great. The city is full of art and music, and there’s always something to do. So much fun!





Today I wanted to talk about something that’s not-so-fun… acne. Acne was never a problem for me until the last four or so years. It comes and goes, sometimes it’s hormonal, sometimes it has to do with what I’m eating, and sometimes it’s related to my stress level. 

Regardless of why I’m breaking out or how much I’m breaking out, it’s uncomfortable and it affects my self-esteem. I've tried just about every over-the-counter product out there (Proactiv, Relogy, Neutrogena, and the list goes on), but nothing ever really worked. I was only left with dry, irritated skin and bleached out clothes and sheets from harsh chemicals.

Even though I still get light acne, I've discovered a few tips that have greatly reduced my breakouts.

























Having a clean pillowcase is probably the most important step in preventing acne. I have super thick curly hair that requires leave-in conditioner. That conditioner leaves residue on my pillow, which travels to my face and causes me to break-out. It’s probably best to have my hair in a pony-tail or a loose bun to keep it away from my face, but I just can’t get comfortable sleeping like that. Changing my pillowcase every few days ensures that bacteria, dirt, and grime don’t get transferred to my face. While I’m on the topic of clean, it’s also important to only touch your face with clean hands. It’s also important to clean everything that comes in contact with your face (phone, sunglasses, make-up brushes, etc.)

I don’t wear make-up often, but when I do, I use a gentle cleanser to remove it. Otherwise, I use a clean soft washcloth and water and follow up with a good moisturizer. That’s it! I always used some sort of cleanser or scrub in the past and I've found that it’s not always necessary. I still use an exfoliating scrub on occasion, but it’s not a daily thing whatsoever. While on the topic of make-up, don't go to sleep with it on. Just take the extra 2-minutes and remove it.

Every face is different, but I've found a positive correlation between my dairy intake and my acne. Read: the more ice cream I eat, the more I break out. Personally, I’m less likely to break out if I’m drinking soy or almond milk. Some people find that they tend to break out more if they consume sugary processed foods. Sugar only seems to affect my waistline. Ha!

Finally, the more water I drink, the less severe my breakouts are. I try to aim for at least 96 ounces of water each day. When I reach my goal water intake, my skin looks cleaner and brighter and I feel better overall. Water does a body good!


What are your tried and true tips for clear skin? 
Have you tried an acne product that works?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!