Friday, September 5, 2014

Easy Mushroom Couscous

The last few weeks have been very busy! We're adjusting to life here in Wilmington quite well. Our time has been spent with lots of unpacking, working, and experiencing the new things that city life has to offer. We've been having a great time. 

My favorite thing about our move is having a real space of our own. If you've been following me for a while, you might know that we lived with my parents back on Hatteras Island. It's nice to have my own kitchen and to be able to cook without feeling like I'm in the way. I'm trying my best to avoid the easy and convenient take-out at my fingertips and instead, trying to cook wholesome meals that won't undo my diet. This super quick and easy couscous is so simple and is even more convenient than take-out! Serve it alongside a protein and some greens, and you've got a great balanced meal!



Easy Mushroom Couscous
Recipe Inspired by The Deen Brothers

Makes six servings

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
10 ounces mushrooms, quartered and thinly sliced
1 medium (about 1 cup) Vidalia onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup uncooked couscous
Optional: 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves (for garnish)


Directions:

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook until softened, about 7 minutes.

Add the chicken broth and the salt. Bring to a boil and stir in the couscous. Immediately remove the pan from the heat, cover it, and let it sit for about 5 or so minutes.

Once all of the liquid is absorbed, fluff the couscous with a fork. Transfer the couscous to a serving bowl, garnish with the optional basil, and serve immediately.



What have you been cooking up lately?
Hope you have an amazing weekend :)





2 comments:

  1. I love couscous! It's so quick and easy. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!