Saturday, August 3, 2013

Mom's Mac-N-Cheese

When I was a little girl, the only macaroni and cheese I ever wanted was the kind in the tall blue box. You know the kind... neon colored cheese powder; just boil the pasta and add some butter and milk.
 
All I can say is that I'm so glad that my taste buds have developed over the years. Now when I have macaroni and cheese (other than my skinny version), I only want the kind my mom makes. And to be  quite honest, I like it even better when it's left over. It's full of cheesy goodness!
 

Ingredients:
 
1 and 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
1/4 cup butter
1 /2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups milk
8 ounces cheese (Mom usually uses cheddar and monterey jack)
 
Directions:
 
Cook and stir butter, salt, and pepper over medium heat. Blend in flour to make a roux and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk. Heat the mixture until boiling, stirring constantly. While stirring, let the mixture boil for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
 
Feel free to add veggies (like peas or broccoli) or meat (ham, beef, bacon, pancetta, etc.).
 
 
What was your favorite childhood food? Do you still love it today?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!