Monday, June 17, 2013

One Beautiful Thing Monday

My friend, Mary Beth, let me borrow a book last month called "Truth In Advertising." I really enjoyed the book and was inspired by two of the characters, Phoebe and Fin, who play a game where they point out one beautiful thing they see each day. Now introducing... One Beautiful Thing Mondays. I plan to share one beautiful thing that I witnessed in the previous week. I'll try to include a picture of the "beautiful thing", but I can imagine taking photos of some things/people may be awkward or inappropriate, so we'll see where it goes.

This week's one beautiful thing took place at the restaurant I work at. So, clearly no photo (as customers probably don't want their server photographing them for personal reasons) for this one. Over the last few years, I noticed that families and groups who come out to dinner no longer converse to one another like they used to. Sadly, smart phones have taken the place of human interaction at the dinner table (in most cases). Last year, I waited on a family of four who literally didn't put their phones down over the course of the entire meal. It was very difficult to wait on someone who couldn't even look me in the eye to order their entree.

Anyway, this brings me back to this week's One Beautiful Thing. While working last night, we had a table of five (three kids and their parents). The kids were so polite (such good manners and well behaved) and everyone was very friendly. Not once did I see a phone at the table or any other tech distraction. The family played games like tic-tac-toe and hangman on the table (the tables are covered in white paper and there are crayons at every table) and drew beautiful pictures of sea creatures. They laughed, smiled, and talked; this family truly seemed to enjoy each other's company and really seemed to connect. It was so refreshing to watch this family (in a non-creepy way) and to see human interaction actually taking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!