Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The World's Best Pancakes!

Yesterday was National Pancake Day. Sadly, I didn’t get to indulge in this holiday, as it was not a “cheat” day for me. However, if I had been able to indulge, I wouldn’t have gone to an IHOP to get a free stack of pancakes... I would have made my own. With the help of an old recipe, my pancakes are incredible. In fact, when I whipped up a batch a few weeks ago, my beau looked at me upon finishing his last bite and said that my pancakes were the best he had ever eaten.
 
My family has never been a fan of Bisquick or other pancake mixes. I remember going to sleepovers and wondering why the pancakes tasted funny at breakfast and wondering why my pancakes at home were so much better. For as long as I can remember, my mom has been whipping up awesome pancakes from an old tattered cookbook she received from her brother as a late-teen when she moved out of the house and started living on her own. I have been searching for the same cookbook online for years and have never been able to find the same edition. Cooking was different back then. There weren’t so many shortcuts and it took time and love to prepare meals for your family.
You can probably imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon an even earlier edition of the same vintage Betty Crocker cookbook in a thrift store a few weeks back. For only $2, I now have the cookbook I had been wanting for years, with that same awesome pancake recipe, among other great ones.
It has taken me years to find this!
Though there are many great tasting variations of the pancake recipe in this cookbook, I want to share the original, classic pancake recipe with you.
 
Yields about nine 4-inch pancakes.
Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
Beat the egg and mix in the remaining ingredients, whisking until smooth. Heat the skillet, and grease/spray with nonstick cooking spray if necessary, and pour about three tablespoons of batter to form each pancake. Once the pancake starts to bubble up and is dry around the edges, flip it to cook the other side. 
Whole Wheat Pancakes are just one of the many variations.
 
Feel free to add some chocolate chips, nuts, fruit, or whatever else you can think of. To make this recipe a bit healthier, try using whole wheat flour, skim milk, and omit the sugar; they still taste amazing.

Happy belated National Pancake Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!