Thursday, February 28, 2013

Skinny Orange Creamsicle Cake

I came across a recipe for Skinny Funfetti Cupcakes on the Six Sisters' Stuff website a while back and I've been thinking about them for a while. I'm not too crazy about the Funfetti type, but I still wanted to make a skinny dessert with the same sort of recipe.

I am crazy about anything creamsicle flavor, so I decided to come up with my own skinny cake creation, the Skinny Orange Creamsicle Cake. I took a box of white cake mix, a can of diet Sunkist, and a tub of fat-free Cool Whip and I had a pretty tasty "diet" cake. I know this may not sound very appealing to everyone, but it wasn't bad at all; it was actually pretty good! In fact, my dad ate some not knowing it was "diet cake" and said he thought it was really tasty! Ha! By leaving out the oil and eggs, and decadent icing, you're cutting a lot of fat, sugar, and calories.

Ingredients:

1 package white cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
1 12-oz. can of diet orange soda (I used diet Sunkist)
1 8-oz. tub of fat-free cool whip

Directions:

In a medium mixing bowl, beat cake mix and diet soda until well combined. Pour into a greased 13x9 pan and cook according to the directions on the box of the cake mix or until a toothpick comes out clean. Mine cooked for about 25 minutes.

Let the cake sit on a wire rack until cool.

Top with fat-free cool whip. I thought the cool-whip tasted great on its own, but you can add a packed of sugar-free orange Jello to the cool whip. However, I want to warn you that I thought this tasted nasty, so I scraped it off. (The artificial sugar-free flavor was too much for me.) It is all a matter of personal preference!

I forgot to snap a picture before it was all gone,
but here's one I found on Google Images,
just so you can get an idea of what it looks like!
 

A can of diet soda and a box of cake mix? Who would have thought it would be so good?! The Six Sisters say that you can do this with any sort of boxed cake mix and recommend that if you use a dark mix (like chocolate, devils food, etc.) that you should use a dark soda (coke zero, diet coke, etc.) and that if you use a light mix (white, yellow, etc.) that you should use a light soda (sprite zero, 7-up, etc.). I've also read that this works really good with brownie mix too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!