Sunday, February 24, 2013

[No Sugar Added] Banana Sorbet

I love ice cream and I would eat it all day long, every day in the summer months if I could. Since I'm trying to eat better, I searched for a few recipes that made me feel like I was eating the sugary and calorie-laden ice cream that I love, but without any guilt whatsoever. I also had some super ripe bananas on hand that needed to be used.

The search began and I came across many recipes for Banana Sorbet, but they were all loaded with sugar. I decided to create my own recipe and I was pretty happy with how it turned out. It was super easy to make and with an ice cream maker, it required little to no effort. Next time I have really ripe bananas on hand, I might try this recipe again and try adding a tablespoon or so of natural peanut butter.

Ingredients:

3 medium ripe bananas
3/4 cup skim milk
1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice

Directions:

In a blender or food processor (I used a Ninja), pulse the ingredients until smooth.

Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Place the mixture into your ice cream maker to freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Enjoy right away or freeze in an airtight container to enjoy later.


A note about my ice cream maker...

Last year, I had been dying for this Cuisinart ice cream maker, but didn't want to shell out $60 for it. The day that I was finally going to go ahead and order it, I found a white one in my local thrift store for only $5! It had all of the parts and was only gently used; what a steal! This ice cream maker comes with a bowl that you freeze ahead of time- I keep mine in the freezer so that I can make ice cream whenever I want. This sorbet froze really well in my ice cream maker and I didn't even have to put it in the freezer to let it firm up; in about 23 minutes, it was perfect. So, if you're looking for an ice cream maker, I would recommend this one completely. It is one of the less expensive models, it doesn't require any salt or ice, and it is so easy to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!