Friday, December 14, 2012

DIY Mason Jar Snow Globes

There really couldn't be an easier DIY project for the holidays than mason jar snow globes. I originally saw these on Anthropologie for much more than I was willing to pay, so I purchased the supplies at 75% off  at the end of the season last year so I could make my own version.

To make your own, you will need a mason jar with a lid and ring, some sort of fake snow or glitter, a hot glue gun (or regular glue), and something to glue onto your lid. I wanted to use bottle brush trees, but any sort of figurine would look neat. I would recommend checking out thrift stores or dollar stores to see what kind of small Christmas trees or figurines are available. Thrift stores are also a great place to find mason jars.

 
You might also want to have some white paint on hand to paint the bottom of the lid, as the red sealing part will be somewhat visible. I used Epoxy, as I felt it might hold up better, but any white paint would do. If you're going to be using a hot glue gun, go ahead and get it set up so that the glue can heat up while the paint is drying.



Next, pour in some fake snow or glitter. Use as little or as much as you would like; you can always dump some out or add more later.

 
 
With the hot glue gun, glue the tree or figurine onto the lid. Make sure that there is plenty of room around it so that the snow/glitter can move freely when you shake the snow globe.


Next, put the lid on the jar, screw on the ring, and flip it over. You now have pretty snow globes that didn't cost you $40! You could also add some festive ribbon or some natural looking jute or hemp to cover the ring. The possibilities are endless!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!